Tax Credit Scholarships

Did you know that 1 in 59 children in Pima County have Autism? And that’s not counting those with similar challenges like Sensory Processing disorder, ADHD, or anxiety. Unfortunately, traditional schools are not always a fit. Without the right school “fit”, entire families are launched into crisis and students are left with unmet potential.

There is nothing worse than knowing what your child needs and being unable to provide it. For many working families, annual tuition at a special education school like Abbie, puts life altering support and interventions far out of reach.

Your private school tax credit contribution will allow us to educate more kids. When tax credits are given in the name of the school, we can help the students who need it the most. Your tax credit is a gift of an education, a childhood and a future for a child with special needs and their family. We rely on the generosity of individual and corporate tax credit donors to support our families.
We treasure your generosity.

Give a Tax Credit Scholarship

How does it work?

The Arizona private school tax credit, is a redirection of the state taxes you already owe (or have already paid). It is a way for you to decide how your tax dollars are spent, and an opportunity to make a significant impact, and investment in the lives of others.

In the 2018 tax year, you can redirect up to $2213 if you are married and filing jointly, and up to $1107 if you are filing single. These funds are given to a School Tuition Organization (STO), which is a non-profit organization, regulated by the Arizona Department of Revenue. STOs exist for the purpose of turning tax credits into scholarships.

Upon receipt of your tax credit, STOs like Arizona Tuition Connection, provide you with a tax receipt and then notify Abbie of the tax credit gift. Your gift is then sent to the school in the name of a deserving child, funding a scholarship and changing a life. The Arizona Department of Revenue prohibits STOs from sharing the name of donors with schools. Please let us know that you have given so that we can personally thank you.

Similar to an individual, in Arizona C and S corporations are now able to redirect their corporate tax liability to schools like Abbie. Corporations can make a huge impact for low income or disabled students. For more information, please contact Jennifer Moore, 300-6103

Frequently asked questions:

What if I don’t owe taxes or am expecting a refund? The state tax credit is based off your total tax liability. This is the total amount you owe the state in a given year. This money is typically deducted from each paycheck in withholding. If you withhold the correct amount, at tax time, you might not “owe” anything since you have already paid it. If you withheld too much, you could be expecting a refund, and if you didn’t withhold enough, you may have to pay additional taxes.

Your refund at tax time, has nothing to do with what you can give in a tax credit. If you owe money, your tax credit will offset that amount. If you don’t owe anything but aren’t expecting a refund, you will just receive a check for the amount of your tax credit. If you are expecting a refund, you will get a check for your tax credit gift and your refund.

When you make a tax credit contribution off your total tax liability, the state will reimburse you, dollar for dollar, even if you have already paid that money in withholding. You will be reimbursed a few weeks after you file your taxes.

What is the deadline?

You can make a contribution right up until the day you file, as long as its before April 15th. Many people choose to put their tax credit contribution on a credit card, and pay it off a few weeks later when their reimbusrsement arrives from the state.

What if I overpay?

If you give over your tax liability, you can claim the balance on future tax returns, for up to 5 years from the original gift.

How do I calculate my tax liability?

If you expect this year’s tax liability to be similar to last years, you can consult last year’s state tax return. You can also consult your accountant.